Every woman’s menopause experience is unique and let’s face it, no one is excited to go through it! Not only do you endure a ton of symptoms, but it typically puts not only discomfort but distance in between a woman and her mate. Although it’s not fun, all woman go through it and it’s good to know what to expect.
Symptoms are usually more severe when menopause occurs suddenly or over a shorter period of time. Lifestyle choices such as smoking tend to increase the severity of the symptoms.
The most common early signs of menopause are
- less frequent menstruation
- heavier or lighter periods than you normally experience
- hot flashes, night sweats, and flushing
Other common symptoms of menopause include:
- vaginal dryness
- weight gain
Protect Your Relationship!
The symptoms can be endless and unfortunately very uncomfortable. Menopause is a life transition that women can’t avoid. It affects their bodies by fluctuating hormones that can cause such symptoms that are stated above. Since menopause is hormonal, it’s important for your partner to understand the process. There are things that they can do to help ease this time for you.
- Listen to her!
- Go with the flow and be prepared for mood swings.
- Be compassionate, and validate her experience
- Be romantic. Bring her flowers for no reason. Make her dinner. Give her a massage. Make it about HER.
- Support healthy eating and exercise choices.
During your change, you can also do a few things to not only make yourself feel better but stay on track to a happy, healthy relationship.
- Exercise regularly and eat healthy foods.
- Find your inner calm.
- Avoid tranquilizers and/or alcohol.
It’s important to remember that menopause is a natural process that all women go through. Although it will get hard at times, making adjustments and going with the process is key to not only keeping your significant other happy, but most importantly yourself!